From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Re: Re: Changing boot device with 2.6.36
Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2011 16:37:29
1 Jörg Schaible writes:
2
3 > Alex Schuster wrote:
4
5 > > I would be surprised if it had this feature. AFAIK grub is already done
6 > > at this stage, the kernel has taken over. And I guess it does not know
7 > > about the LABEL= syntax, and has no code to scan all devices for file
8 > > system labels.
9 >
10 > I fear so, too. Grub finds the boot device properly, it's the kernel
11 > complaining about the value in the root option.
12 >
13 > > With an initramfs, the kernel runs an init script which can do various
14 > > stuff, like probing all devices for file system labels.
15 >
16 > I never had the need for an initrd.
17
18 Now you do :)
19
20 Wonko