From: Holly Bostick <motub@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: font management software
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 12:07:08
1 Philip Webb schreef:
2 > 050831 Martin S wrote:
3 >
4 >> Is there a font management app that's good under Linux? to see what
5 >> the fonts look like
8 > Gfontview & Gucharmap (both in Portage); Xfd & Xfontsel (both part of
9 > Xorg).
12 >> and be able to install what's not installed.
15 > Well, this is Gentoo, so you use 'emerge' to install things ...
16 > (grin).
17 >
18 > Apart from the basic media-libs/freetype , the other font packages
19 > are in /usr/portage/media-fonts .
22 And of course, you can download fonts from any of those font collection
23 pages on the net and extract/copy them into /usr/share/fonts/TTF
24 (assuming they're truetype, naturally), run fc-cache and they'll work
25 fine. I had an attack of fontmania recently myself, looking for 'nice'
26 fonts that weren't ComicSansMS that actually had ë, ö, ¤ (that's the
27 Euro symbol, if you can't see it), and *also* had bold and italic
28 variants (which was the problem).
29
30 It's almost enough to make me wish I spoke/wrote CJK-- there are a lot
31 more complete fonts for Asian languages (and they're much easier to
32 find), than truly complete sets for ISO8859-15.
33
34 Holly
35 --
36 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list