From: "Константин" <kastian@××××.ru>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] plain copy of root disk won't work
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2016 19:13:32
1 On Fri, Nov 18, 2016 at 04:30:28PM +0100, Raffaele BELARDI wrote:
2 > I want to move the main disk contents (hda, PATA) to another, larger
3 > disk (sda, SATA).
4 >
5 > hda contains 4 ext3 partitions (root, home, data, swap).
6 > I created 4 ext3 partitions on sda and copied the data over from the
7 > corresponding hda partitions using 'cp -ax'.
8
9 Didn't you do this from working system on hda? In this case there
10 really could be troubles with special files etc. Imho live-cd better
11 for this purpose.
12
13 At any case imho it's better to split this task
14
15 0. Boot from live-cd.
16 1. Copy partitions from hda to sda (cp or rsync)
17 2. Edit fstab on sda.
18 3. Configure grub on HDA to see hda and sda systems,
19 4. Try to boot sda.
20 5. If all is good, configure grub on sda, and change BIOS boot order.
21
22 As Canek wrote rsync is great for this task, but beware - last '/' in
23 '/source/directory/' means!
24
25 #kstn