From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT hardware ?] Can ram spec be tracked to different mobos
Date: Mon, 02 Mar 2009 00:04:33
1 On Montag 02 März 2009, Harry Putnam wrote:
2 > Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com> writes:
3 > > On Sonntag 01 März 2009, Harry Putnam wrote:
4 > >> Anyone know if the ram sticks installed in one mobo can be tracked to
5 > >> see what other mobo's it will work in.
6 > >>
7 > >> I'm thinking switching out a mobo and hate to loose the 3GB ram
8 > >> installed in it. I don't have the spec to hand due to one machine
9 > >> being shut down but do have record of it on that machine when I boot
10 > >> it.
11 > >>
12 > >> You'd think some kind of cross reference like that would be around
13 > >> since ram is one of the more expensive parts of a setup.
14 > >
15 > > a) vendors website
16 > > b) vendors website
17 >
18 > So, are you thinking the vendor website will have some kind of cross
19 > reference showing all the motherboards a particular stick of ram will
20 > work on? I'm not finding anything like that, of course had prowled
21 > the vendors website before posting (http://www.corsair.com/)
22 >
23 > > c) modprobe i2c-dev, eeprom, ./decode-dimms.pl
24 >
25 > This will require a recompile. And in fact the memory sticks on a
26 > solaris OS, so not useful there anyway. But useful on my linux
27 > boxes. thanks.
28
29 no, just a make modules_install.