From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How the HAL are you supposed to use these files?
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2010 19:31:10
1 On Freitag 12 Februar 2010, pk wrote:
2 > Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
3 > > so how do you propose that a network connection manager tells a broweser
4 > > or mail app that they are offline?
5 >
6 > I don't have a network connection manager and I don't need that function
7 > in a browser, mail client or any other app.
8 >
9 > > And don't start with sockets. That will result in a nightmare. dbus is a
10 > > clean
11 >
12 > I've been using computers way before D-Bus came into action and I never
13 > suffered from nightmares... ;-)
14
15 no, but you also head much less functionality.
18 > To me D-Bus is a bit like this:
19 > Programmer1: (waves hands in the air) Oh, oh I know, let's invent a new
20 > protocol that lets applications talk to each other. Way cool!
21 > Programmer2: Oh yeah, it will simplify the situation so much. Let's do it!
22 > Pragmatic guy: So, what are these apps going to talk about?
23 > Programmer1 & 2 (in unison): Shut up! Don't spoil our fun by asking such
24 > stupid questions!
27 and that is stupid.
28 You obviously don't know what you are talking about.
29
30 If you start konqueror - for example, it is dbus telling konqueror to start
31 as browser - or file manager. And to load the right kpart. Oh - and that