From: pk <peterk2@××××××××.se>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How the HAL are you supposed to use these files?
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2010 19:24:15
1 Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
2
3 > so how do you propose that a network connection manager tells a broweser or
4 > mail app that they are offline?
5
6 I don't have a network connection manager and I don't need that function
7 in a browser, mail client or any other app.
8
9 > And don't start with sockets. That will result in a nightmare. dbus is a clean
10
11 I've been using computers way before D-Bus came into action and I never
12 suffered from nightmares... ;-)
13
14 To me D-Bus is a bit like this:
15 Programmer1: (waves hands in the air) Oh, oh I know, let's invent a new
16 protocol that lets applications talk to each other. Way cool!
17 Programmer2: Oh yeah, it will simplify the situation so much. Let's do it!
18 Pragmatic guy: So, what are these apps going to talk about?
19 Programmer1 & 2 (in unison): Shut up! Don't spoil our fun by asking such
20 stupid questions!
21
22 But, this discussion is quite pointless as I see it since the people who
23 program these apps (like programmer1 & 2 above) are the ones who gets to
24 choose and most people just doesn't bother with the details; they just
25 throw more ("bigger", "better", "faster") hardware in an ever-evolving
26 race. Far from the unix philosophy of KISS. That's at least the way I
27 see it...
28
29 Best regards
30