From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How the HAL are you supposed to use these files?
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 23:03:54
1 On Donnerstag 11 Februar 2010, Zeerak Waseem wrote:
2 > On Thu, 11 Feb 2010 23:53:10 +0100, Volker Armin Hemmann
3 >
4 > <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com> wrote:
5 > > On Donnerstag 11 Februar 2010, Zeerak Waseem wrote:
6 > >> Particularly when your wm can handle all the inter-app
7 > >> communication that is necessary without dbus.
8 > >
9 > > the problem is the WM can NOT handle all the inter-app communication
10 > > that is
11 > > needed by a modern desktop environment. Especially, when you have apps
12 > > that
13 > > are just frames around building blocks that have to talk to each other
14 > > (like
15 > > for example konqueror, that is just a gui to the dolphin, khtml, konsole,
16 > > gwenview kparts).
17 >
18 > But it seems to me, that the apps that need the communication are in DE's.
19 > Which is fine, I just think that if you're choosing a smaller WM (Openbox,
20 > awesome, JWM, etc.), where there isn't a need for an inter-app
21 > communication that extensive, then it's a bit of an overkill really.
22
23 so how do you propose that a network connection manager tells a broweser or
24 mail app that they are offline?
25
26 And don't start with sockets. That will result in a nightmare. dbus is a clean
27 solution to a huge problem. Apps have to talk to each other. The only way to
28 keep it sane is a standardized IPC daemon like dbus.