From: Zeerak Waseem <zeerak.w@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How the HAL are you supposed to use these files?
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 23:20:04
1 On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 00:03:27 +0100, Volker Armin Hemmann
2 <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On Donnerstag 11 Februar 2010, Zeerak Waseem wrote:
5 >> On Thu, 11 Feb 2010 23:53:10 +0100, Volker Armin Hemmann
6 >>
7 >> <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com> wrote:
8 >> > On Donnerstag 11 Februar 2010, Zeerak Waseem wrote:
9 >> >> Particularly when your wm can handle all the inter-app
10 >> >> communication that is necessary without dbus.
11 >> >
12 >> > the problem is the WM can NOT handle all the inter-app communication
13 >> > that is
14 >> > needed by a modern desktop environment. Especially, when you have apps
15 >> > that
16 >> > are just frames around building blocks that have to talk to each other
17 >> > (like
18 >> > for example konqueror, that is just a gui to the dolphin, khtml,
19 >> konsole,
20 >> > gwenview kparts).
21 >>
22 >> But it seems to me, that the apps that need the communication are in
23 >> DE's.
24 >> Which is fine, I just think that if you're choosing a smaller WM
25 >> (Openbox,
26 >> awesome, JWM, etc.), where there isn't a need for an inter-app
27 >> communication that extensive, then it's a bit of an overkill really.
28 >
29 > so how do you propose that a network connection manager tells a broweser
30 > or
31 > mail app that they are offline?
32 >
33 > And don't start with sockets. That will result in a nightmare. dbus is a
34 > clean
35 > solution to a huge problem. Apps have to talk to each other. The only
36 > way to
37 > keep it sane is a standardized IPC daemon like dbus.
40 Well how about something with sockets ;)
41
42 Personally, I don't see a big problem in a network connection manager not
43 being able to tell various apps that they don't have a connection to the
44 internet. If you're offline often you will know it, and if not you have
45 something to look into.
46
47 But honestly, I don't have a solution to the problem, what I can however
48 say is that my browser and my mail app, are pretty deft at realizing that
49 their attempts to access a server, are in vain, without any network
50 manager to tell them that they're offline. If there is any inter-app
51 communication going on, it's not anything I know enough about to give a
52 qualified guess about.
56 Zeerak