From: Zeerak Waseem <zeerak.w@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How the HAL are you supposed to use these files?
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 22:57:50
1 On Thu, 11 Feb 2010 23:53:10 +0100, Volker Armin Hemmann
2 <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On Donnerstag 11 Februar 2010, Zeerak Waseem wrote:
5 >> Particularly when your wm can handle all the inter-app
6 >> communication that is necessary without dbus.
7 >
8 > the problem is the WM can NOT handle all the inter-app communication
9 > that is
10 > needed by a modern desktop environment. Especially, when you have apps
11 > that
12 > are just frames around building blocks that have to talk to each other
13 > (like
14 > for example konqueror, that is just a gui to the dolphin, khtml, konsole,
15 > gwenview kparts).
20 But it seems to me, that the apps that need the communication are in DE's.
21 Which is fine, I just think that if you're choosing a smaller WM (Openbox,
22 awesome, JWM, etc.), where there isn't a need for an inter-app
23 communication that extensive, then it's a bit of an overkill really.
26 Zeerak