From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: How the HAL are you supposed to use these files?
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2010 02:25:33
1 On 02/11/2010 03:03 PM, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
2 > ...
3 > And don't start with sockets. That will result in a nightmare. dbus is a clean
4 > solution to a huge problem. Apps have to talk to each other. The only way to
5 > keep it sane is a standardized IPC daemon like dbus.
6
7 Aha! This is a question that has confused me since I was still in diapers.
8 (And may be in them again soon enough :)
9
10 Could you (or anyone else here) give us a really dumbed-down summary
11 of why a dev would want/need to use a socket, versus a pipe, versus
12 a signal, versus dbus, versus, well, whatever else is out there?
13
14 Many thanks.