From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] One line script for md5sum
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2008 23:01:58
1 On Thursday 18 December 2008 00:31:56 Robert Bridge wrote:
2 > On Thu, 18 Dec 2008 00:17:18 +0200
3 >
4 > Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
5 > > On Wednesday 17 December 2008 22:42:34 Robert Bridge wrote:
6 > > > Or use a wildcard based match.
7 > > >
8 > > > name????stat.text works, as would name*stat.text
9 > >
10 > > <pedantic>
11 > > name0[01][0-9]{2}stat.text
12 > > </pedantic>
13 > >
14 > > would be better still
15 >
16 > <nitpick>
17 > more typing...
18 > </nitpick>
19 >
20 > Depends on the measure, most times I have seen this kind of thing, the
21 > shorter pattern I had would have been "good enough". YMMV though, and I
22 > won't try to argue that yours is more precise.
23
24 Agreed :-)
25
26 A pattern like that in real life is likely to be something structured and
27 *highly* unlikely to have odd file names thrown in.
28
29 But like all good sysadmin, I can't resist an opportunity to show off a little
30 bit :-)
35 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com