From: William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] The End Is Near ... or, get the vaseline, they're on the way!
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2012 02:19:46
1 On Sat, 2012-03-17 at 17:43 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > On Sat, Mar 17, 2012 at 1:15 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > > On Sat, 17 Mar 2012 08:10:35 -0700
4 > > Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
5 > >
6 > >> 4) I don't use a separate /usr so I don't need any of this. I suspect
7 > >> most casual Gentoo users like me are pretty much the same.
8 > >
9 > > This news item in no way applies to you and you are completely
10 > > unaffected. You can safely update openrc and udev.
13 > Yeah, that was my reading of it, and I appreciate your response.
14 >
15 > In this case, and I don't know why, I have this feeling that this
16 > thing is gonna turn out badly and I'd be better being prepared on the
17 > initramfs side of things. I did have to use one to bring up my server
18 > with / on a RAID6, not because I needed it long term but in the short
19 > term I couldn't determine how mdadm was numbering the RAID so that I
20 > could get grub.conf correct. I'm somehow a bot worried something is
21 > going to slip by the devs and I'd be better off having an initramfs
22 > already running on the box when I do allow the upgrades.
23 >
24 > Planning on giving Dracut a try.
25 >
26 > Thanks,
27 > Mark
30 Definitely be careful! - I went the genkernel route and except for
31 laptops use LVM and separate partitions.
32
33 Be very wary of using an existing kernel config - there are a few
34 unexpected things that I had to enable to get an already working, but
35 customised kernel config to boot properly after genkernel used it. I
36 still need to cut the config down some more to speed booting (restrict
37 the autodetect to hardware I actually have).
38
39 genkernel doesnt support suspend/resume without patching so beware if
40 thats a consideration.
41
42 I do get the feeling I now have a less reliable, flakier system with
43 more demands on admin time because everytime I upgrade I will have more
44 issues. I might eventually do away with the separate /usr if they ever
45 get it read only and reliable, but thats likely to a way off yet and
46 none of my machines use a big enough (non LVM) / to hold it anyway.
47
48 BillK