From: Joseph <syscon780@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user][SOLVED] dependancy xorg-server
Date: Sun, 08 Feb 2015 00:19:03
1 On 02/07/15 21:38, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 >On Sat, 7 Feb 2015 14:06:30 -0700, Joseph wrote:
3 >
4 >> I'll try it next time. When I upgrade and have to scroll via 200+
5 >> messages of emerge packages it is easy to not to notice about some
6 >> critical information; in my case "grub" that was calling to run
7 >> "grub-install" or the system will not boot. I wish the packages without
8 >> any changes or warning wouldn't even show up after upgrade.
9 >
10 >1) Don't leave it so long between upgrades.
11
12 I usually try not to exceed 2-months between upgrades.
13 I think this is a reasonable time.
14
15 I upgrade my backup machines first and if nothing happen (no surprises) I proceed with main server upgrade. Wait for one week and if everything is working correctly
16 I upgrade my boxes in a remote location over ssh. All boxes are rsync to single local box. Oh, and I check gentoo news group for discussion as well :-) prior to
17 upgrades.
18
19 >2) Read man make.conf and /usr/share/portage/config/make.conf.example for
20 > details of the ELOG_ settings to have warnings and info mailed to you.
21
22 In my make.conf I have:
23 PORTAGE_ELOG_CLASSES="info warn error log"
24
25 Maybe I should skip: info and log; to have less trafic.
28 Joseph