From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: elogviewer and something odd with equery
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2010 05:20:58
1 Dale wrote:
2 > walt wrote:
3 >> On 04/26/2010 03:11 PM, Dale wrote:
4 >>> Alex Schuster wrote:
5 >>>> Dale writes:
6 >>>>
7 >>>>> Again, I am using Konsole for this. This may be a KDE thing. I know
8 >>>>> it worked fine in KDE3 but then again, a LOT of things worked fine in
9 >>>>> KDE3.
10 >>>> It's probably not a KDE thing. I'm also using konsole in KDE4, and
11 >>>> after
12 >>>> becoming root (via su or su -) I have no Problems starting X
13 >>>> applications.
14 >>>>
15 >>>> I'm no expert at X authorization stuff. But I know that in the past
16 >>>> I also
17 >>>> had trouble when becoming root. Why it works for me and not for you
18 >>>> - I
19 >>>> don't know.
20 >>>>
21 >>>> Workarounds you might try:
22 >>>> - Emerge sux, and use sux instead of su. Worked for me in the past.
23 >>>> - ssh -Y root@localhost
24 >>>>
25 >>>> Wonko
26 >>>>
27 >>>>
28 >>>
29 >>> I don't use su. When I open the Konsole, it asks for a password.
30 >>
31 >> Does that mean you are not using the standard konsole, rather a special
32 >> icon intended to open a root terminal? Must be, otherwise it wouldn't
33 >> ask for the root password.
34 >>
35 >> Try opening a standard user konsole and just use su instead. (Or even,
36 >> heaven forbid, an xterm instead of konsole.) That should detect a KDE
37 >> problem if it exists.
40 > The way I did was this. The entry you have but I edited it to run as
41 > root when it is clicked on. I have a couple things that are set that
42 > way. Kbackup is set that way. It can't access some files I want to
43 > backup if it is set to run as a user. You can edit this by clicking
44 > the advanced tab in the menu editor. I also have konqueror set as my
45 > file manager and it is set to run as root. It is running on another
46 > desktop right now. It works fine. I can run Kbackup, as root, and it
47 > connects just fine. I just tried it to make sure. Since I can go to
48 > my /root directory, I know it is running as root.
49 >
50 > Weird things always happen to me. Why can't something weird like
51 > winning the lottery happen to me? lol
52 >
53 > Dale
54 >
55 > :-) :-)
58 OK. I finally fixed this so that it works. Naturally it was simple but
59 I wanted to share. ;-) Edit the menu item for konsole and on the line
60 where it says command, enter this: "konsole --profile root" Remove the
61 quotes of course. That is part one. Part two, open a console and
62 create a new profile named root. If you name it something else, edit
63 the line above to match. Then in the General tab in the box command,
64 type in "/bin/su -". Remove the quotes of course. Save everything.
65
66 Then when you click on it in the future, it will open as a user BUT it
67 asks for the root password. Then you can run programs and it find the
68 GUI. This has worked with kwrite and elogviewer so far.
69
70 Yea, this was driving me nuts. I knew this could work but had to figure
71 out how to make it work. The command to run was my light bulb moment.
72
73 Dale
74