From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: elogviewer and something odd with equery
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2010 23:07:15
1 walt wrote:
2 > On 04/26/2010 03:11 PM, Dale wrote:
3 >> Alex Schuster wrote:
4 >>> Dale writes:
5 >>>
6 >>>> Again, I am using Konsole for this. This may be a KDE thing. I know
7 >>>> it worked fine in KDE3 but then again, a LOT of things worked fine in
8 >>>> KDE3.
9 >>> It's probably not a KDE thing. I'm also using konsole in KDE4, and
10 >>> after
11 >>> becoming root (via su or su -) I have no Problems starting X
12 >>> applications.
13 >>>
14 >>> I'm no expert at X authorization stuff. But I know that in the past
15 >>> I also
16 >>> had trouble when becoming root. Why it works for me and not for you - I
17 >>> don't know.
18 >>>
19 >>> Workarounds you might try:
20 >>> - Emerge sux, and use sux instead of su. Worked for me in the past.
21 >>> - ssh -Y root@localhost
22 >>>
23 >>> Wonko
24 >>>
25 >>>
26 >>
27 >> I don't use su. When I open the Konsole, it asks for a password.
28 >
29 > Does that mean you are not using the standard konsole, rather a special
30 > icon intended to open a root terminal? Must be, otherwise it wouldn't
31 > ask for the root password.
32 >
33 > Try opening a standard user konsole and just use su instead. (Or even,
34 > heaven forbid, an xterm instead of konsole.) That should detect a KDE
35 > problem if it exists.
38 The way I did was this. The entry you have but I edited it to run as
39 root when it is clicked on. I have a couple things that are set that
40 way. Kbackup is set that way. It can't access some files I want to
41 backup if it is set to run as a user. You can edit this by clicking the
42 advanced tab in the menu editor. I also have konqueror set as my file
43 manager and it is set to run as root. It is running on another desktop
44 right now. It works fine. I can run Kbackup, as root, and it connects
45 just fine. I just tried it to make sure. Since I can go to my /root
46 directory, I know it is running as root.
47
48 Weird things always happen to me. Why can't something weird like
49 winning the lottery happen to me? lol
50
51 Dale
52