From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: elogviewer and something odd with equery
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2010 22:44:00
1 On 04/26/2010 03:11 PM, Dale wrote:
2 > Alex Schuster wrote:
3 >> Dale writes:
4 >>
5 >>> Again, I am using Konsole for this. This may be a KDE thing. I know
6 >>> it worked fine in KDE3 but then again, a LOT of things worked fine in
7 >>> KDE3.
8 >> It's probably not a KDE thing. I'm also using konsole in KDE4, and after
9 >> becoming root (via su or su -) I have no Problems starting X applications.
10 >>
11 >> I'm no expert at X authorization stuff. But I know that in the past I also
12 >> had trouble when becoming root. Why it works for me and not for you - I
13 >> don't know.
14 >>
15 >> Workarounds you might try:
16 >> - Emerge sux, and use sux instead of su. Worked for me in the past.
17 >> - ssh -Y root@localhost
18 >>
19 >> Wonko
23 > I don't use su. When I open the Konsole, it asks for a password.
24
25 Does that mean you are not using the standard konsole, rather a special
26 icon intended to open a root terminal? Must be, otherwise it wouldn't
27 ask for the root password.
28
29 Try opening a standard user konsole and just use su instead. (Or even,
30 heaven forbid, an xterm instead of konsole.) That should detect a KDE
31 problem if it exists.