From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OK to disable "filter" USE in php?
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 2009 05:21:38
1 >> I noticed amavisd-new is being pulled in by the "filter" USE flag in
2 >> squirrelmail.  I don't use amavisd-new (I greylist), so I removed
3 >> filter from make.conf and then realized it is also used in the php
4 >> package.  I only use php with squirrelmail.  Is it safe for me to
5 >> remove the filter USE flag from php?  I don't want to make a security
6 >> mistake.
7 >
8 > The filter useflag in PHP allow PHP users to filter PHP output to compress it
9 > for example, as euse -i filter shows us:
10 >
11 > xavier@xps ~ $ euse -i filter
12 > global use flags (searching: filter)
13 > ************************************************************
14 > no matching entries found
15 >
16 > local use flags (searching: filter)
17 > ************************************************************
18 > [+    ] filter (dev-lang/php):
19 > Add filter extension support
20 >
21 > [+    ] filter (mail-client/squirrelmail):
22 > Enable mail-filter/amavisd-new filtering
23 >
24 > so filter is not a global useflag, you can disable it if you do not need filter
25 > extension in php, and it is also safe.
26
27 Thanks Xavier. I couldn't remember why I enabled it in the first
28 place, and I thought it could have been to secure PHP. I only use PHP
29 with squirrelmail though, so it sounds like it's alright.
30
31 - Grant