From: Dan Farrell <dan@×××××××××.cx>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Short history in terminal (without X)
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2007 17:34:52
1 On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 19:29:54 +0100
2 Jakob Buchgraber <jakob.buchgraber@××××××××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > > does someone know, how to increase the "history-buffer's size" of
5 > > the terminal?
6
7 > > How can I make the history buffer larger, or - if possible - set it
8 > > infinitely large. (Just as the "Konsole" of KDE.)
9 > To make it "infinitely" large you can set the variable HISTSIZE to
10 > some huge value like
11 > export HISTSIZE=1000000000000
12 Isn't that for bash's command history? I'm pretty sure it is. What
13 you want, Roman, is a kernel parameter:
14 Device Drivers--->
15 Graphics support--->
16 Console display driver support--->
17 --- VGA text console
18 [ ] Enable Scrollback Buffer in System RAM
19 (64) Scrollback Buffer Size (in KB) (NEW)
20 As the help says, "Each 64KB will give you approximately 16 80x25
21 screenfuls of scrollback buffer." This is the buffer accessed by
22 pressing Shift+PgUp at the console.
23 > > Another inconvenient thing is that the buffer seems to "forget"
24 > > everything except the last screen of text, if I switch to another
25 > > terminal. (alt + F2 for instance).
26 Each console probably has its own buffer, doesn't it? Just like
27 different terminals or different xterm windows?
32 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list