From: Jakob Buchgraber <jakob.buchgraber@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Short history in terminal (without X)
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2007 17:34:21
1 Roman Naumann wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > does someone know, how to increase the "history-buffer's size" of the
5 > terminal? (and I mean the pure terminal, without an X-Server)
6 > I mean, if I use some commands producing plenty of output, I cannot scroll to
7 > the beginning of the text quite often, because the history buffer is to
8 > small.
9 >
10 > Another inconvenient thing is that the buffer seems to "forget" everything
11 > except the last screen of text, if I switch to another terminal. (alt + F2
12 > for instance).
13 >
14 > How can I make the history buffer larger, or - if possible - set it
15 > infinitely large. (Just as the "Konsole" of KDE.)
16 >
17 > Thanks,
18 >
19 > Roman Naumann.
20 >
21 To make it "infinitely" large you can set the variable HISTSIZE to some
22 huge value like
23 export HISTSIZE=1000000000000
24
25 You could try setting the history to infinitely in Konsole and then do
26 echo $HISTSIZE
27
28 Cheers,
29 Jay