From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] lftp -u user,pass(word
Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2016 20:28:56
1 On Friday 08 Apr 2016 14:17:21 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Fri, 8 Apr 2016 15:05:45 +0200, hw wrote:
3 > > > However, the man page also advises against giving the password on the
4 > > > command line (because it is then available to anyone with normal user
5 > > > shell access while the command is running) and suggests using either
6 > >
7 > > I need to use it with a script for automatic downloads, so the password
8 > > wouldn't appear in the history. Using a ~/.netrc would create a
9 > > dependency on the user who runs the script, which is something I would
10 > > prefer to avoid.
11 >
12 > It's not just the history, the password appears in the putput from ps
13 > while the transfer is running.
14 >
15 > > > ~/.netrc, which you have already said works, or $LFTP_PASSWORD along
16 > > > with --env-password. Have you tried this?
17 > > >
18 > > > LFTP_PASSWORD='pass(word' lftp --env-password -u user
19 > > > ftp://example.com
20 > >
21 > > Thanks, that looks like a good solution. I'll see if that works ...
22 >
23 > If that doesn't work, you could always sidestep the issue by changing the
24 > password to "password1" ;-)
25
26 I remember banging my head against a brick wall trying similar methods to get
27 ssmtp to use a passwd with special characters. It would only accept
28 alphanumeric characters. I wasn't sure if this was a bash or an ssmtp
29 problem. I ended up changing the passwd. :-(
32 Regards,
33 Mick