From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] lftp -u user,pass(word
Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2016 13:17:37
1 On Fri, 8 Apr 2016 15:05:45 +0200, hw wrote:
2
3 > > However, the man page also advises against giving the password on the
4 > > command line (because it is then available to anyone with normal user
5 > > shell access while the command is running) and suggests using either
6 >
7 > I need to use it with a script for automatic downloads, so the password
8 > wouldn't appear in the history. Using a ~/.netrc would create a
9 > dependency on the user who runs the script, which is something I would
10 > prefer to avoid.
11
12 It's not just the history, the password appears in the putput from ps
13 while the transfer is running.
14
15 > > ~/.netrc, which you have already said works, or $LFTP_PASSWORD along
16 > > with --env-password. Have you tried this?
17 > >
18 > > LFTP_PASSWORD='pass(word' lftp --env-password -u user
19 > > ftp://example.com
20 >
21 > Thanks, that looks like a good solution. I'll see if that works ...
22
23 If that doesn't work, you could always sidestep the issue by changing the
24 password to "password1" ;-)
28 Neil Bothwick
29
30 Programmer (n): A red-eyed, mumbling mammal capable of conversing
31 with inanimate objects.