From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] SSD partitioning and migration
Date: Sat, 20 Jul 2013 05:12:52
1 Bruce Hill wrote:
2 > On Fri, Jul 19, 2013 at 08:34:27PM -0500, Dale wrote:
3 >>> Stop using disk and build in RAM:
4 >>>
5 >>> tmpfs /var/tmp/portage tmpfs size=7000M,nr_inodes=1M 0 0
6 >>> tmpfs /dev/shm tmpfs nodev,nosuid,noexec 0 0
7 >>>
8 >>> workstation ~ # free -m
9 >>> total used free shared buffers cached
10 >>> Mem: 15798 3711 12087 0 0 937
11 >>> -/+ buffers/cache: 2772 13025
12 >>> Swap: 8103 0 8103
13 >> He may not have enough to do that tho. Some folks only have 4Gbs or
14 >> less still. That won't be enough for LOo. Heck, my 16Gbs wasn't enough
15 >> at one time. I had to either let it be on HDD or set it to a higher
16 >> amount than the default half.
17 >>
18 >> I also tested the time difference once before, it didn't really make
19 >> much difference. It just saves wear on a drive is all.
20 >>
21 >> Dale
22 > If 16GB of RAM wasn't enough, ydiw. I've used that line of 7G forever, and run
23 > app-office/libreoffice, as well as firefox and some other big app (forget it's
24 > name) and _never_ had a problem.
25
26 Well, a while back, OOo and LOo wanted more than 8Gbs. It wasn't my
27 need but what portage looked for. Then someone did some changes and
28 reduced that need and it worked. From my understanding, there was some
29 code clean up that helped in that. I think it looks for 6Gbs now. From
30 the ebuild:
31
32 CHECKREQS_MEMORY="512M"
33 CHECKREQS_DISK_BUILD="6G"
34
35 It used to be more than that. If it didn't have enough, it stopped.
36 Even when I would override that setting, it would still run out of space
37 more often than not. As a matter of fact, I still have the command in
38 my freq used commands file that I used to fix it:
39
40 mount -t tmpfs -o size=12g tmpfs /var/tmp/portage
41
42 Dale
43
47 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!