From: Bruce Hill <daddy@×××××××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] SSD partitioning and migration
Date: Sat, 20 Jul 2013 02:11:46
1 On Fri, Jul 19, 2013 at 08:34:27PM -0500, Dale wrote:
2 > > Stop using disk and build in RAM:
3 > >
4 > > tmpfs /var/tmp/portage tmpfs size=7000M,nr_inodes=1M 0 0
5 > > tmpfs /dev/shm tmpfs nodev,nosuid,noexec 0 0
6 > >
7 > > workstation ~ # free -m
8 > > total used free shared buffers cached
9 > > Mem: 15798 3711 12087 0 0 937
10 > > -/+ buffers/cache: 2772 13025
11 > > Swap: 8103 0 8103
12 >
13 > He may not have enough to do that tho. Some folks only have 4Gbs or
14 > less still. That won't be enough for LOo. Heck, my 16Gbs wasn't enough
15 > at one time. I had to either let it be on HDD or set it to a higher
16 > amount than the default half.
17 >
18 > I also tested the time difference once before, it didn't really make
19 > much difference. It just saves wear on a drive is all.
20 >
21 > Dale
22
23 If 16GB of RAM wasn't enough, ydiw. I've used that line of 7G forever, and run
24 app-office/libreoffice, as well as firefox and some other big app (forget it's
25 name) and _never_ had a problem.
26 --
27 Happy Penguin Computers >')
28 126 Fenco Drive ( \
29 Tupelo, MS 38801 ^^
31 662-269-2706 662-205-6424
32 http://happypenguincomputers.com/
33
34 A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
35 Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
36 A: Top-posting.
37 Q: What is the most annoying thing in e-mail?
38
39 Don't top-post: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_post#Top-posting