From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] SSD partitioning and migration
Date: Sat, 20 Jul 2013 01:34:38
1 Bruce Hill wrote:
2 > On Fri, Jul 19, 2013 at 08:58:59PM -0300, luis jure wrote:
3 >> i had a 30Tb partition for my system in my old HDD, and the breathing
4 >> space wasn't quite "plenty". often i found myself with less than the 6Gb
5 >> free required by libreoffice to compile, and i had to clean up a bit.
6 >> other than that yes, 30Gb is more than enough. in this new SSD i just
7 >> installed i made a partition of 40Gb for / .
8 > Stop using disk and build in RAM:
9 >
10 > tmpfs /var/tmp/portage tmpfs size=7000M,nr_inodes=1M 0 0
11 > tmpfs /dev/shm tmpfs nodev,nosuid,noexec 0 0
12 >
13 > workstation ~ # free -m
14 > total used free shared buffers cached
15 > Mem: 15798 3711 12087 0 0 937
16 > -/+ buffers/cache: 2772 13025
17 > Swap: 8103 0 8103
18
19 He may not have enough to do that tho. Some folks only have 4Gbs or
20 less still. That won't be enough for LOo. Heck, my 16Gbs wasn't enough
21 at one time. I had to either let it be on HDD or set it to a higher
22 amount than the default half.
23
24 I also tested the time difference once before, it didn't really make
25 much difference. It just saves wear on a drive is all.
26
27 Dale
28
32 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!