From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] GRE link state detection
Date: Sat, 07 Sep 2013 18:23:53
1 On Thursday 05 Sep 2013 15:49:55 thegeezer wrote:
2 > Howdy all,
3 > i was wondering if anyone has any idea if there is a means by which i
4 > can detect GRE link state ?
5 >
6 > what i have is two sites each with two very unstable internet links
7 > in order to vpn between them i have ipsec tunnels linking each side
8 > twice (four ipsec tunnels in total)
9
10 I am not sure why you need 4 tunnels, you could just use 1 tunnel as a gateway
11 to gateway setup, but I assume that your particular network topology satisfies
12 your requirements.
15 > i then have 4x GRE tunnels over the top of those in order that i have a
16 > secured routable VPN
17 > this gives me net.vpn0 net.vpn1 net.vpn2 and net.vpn3
18 > finally i run BIRD over the top which works very well, and synchronises
19 > routing tables between the two sites, and allows for me to do such fun as
20 > # /etc/init.d/net.vpn0 stop
21 > and watch all traffic automagically cut over to another link.
22 >
23 > so far so awesome.
24 >
25 > however, as i said the internet links are very unstable, and sometimes
26 > just blackhole. so what i was hoping to do is just enable keepalives on
27 > the gre tunnel. which sadly seems to be cisco only.
28
29 I'm no Cisco expert, but I thought that the keepalives are disabled when you
30 use IPSec, because IPSec had Dead Peer Detection for this purpose?
33 > can anyone suggest a way of detecting if the GRE is not fully connected ?
34 > BIRD only fails over if the net.vpn0 device is down (ifconfig up/down)
35 > and for the life of me i cannot find how to detect if a GRE tunnel is
36 > 'connected', it seems to just blindly send packets to the remote IP.
37 > is my only choice to use L2TP instead ?
38
39 Set your IKE lifetime to something like 86400 sec and your SA lifetime at
40 something like 3600, with dpd enabled and it should (hopefully) work. L2TP is
41 not needed.
44 Regards,
45 Mick