From: Roman Dobosz <gryf73@××.pl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: OT - Midnight Commander and hiding terminal output
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2015 17:32:30
1 On Tue, 29 Dec 2015 10:00:10 -0700
2 Skippy <linuxgn2@××××××××××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > I've been googling to no avail on this one.
5 >
6 > When using Midnight Commander, I'll select a file and hit "enter" thus
7 > opening that file with it's associated program.
8 >
9 > Let's say a mp3 file with VLC as that's one I have set up.
10 >
11 > It runs, but any error messages from VLC appear in the MC terminal
12 > window and force the MC display up the screen, thus rendering it unreadable.
13 >
14 > I can fix this by exiting VLC and entering "clear" on the command line.
15 >
16 > Question is, can I hide all terminal messages when MC is running? Does
17 > my question & description make sense?
18
19 Just redirect the standard end error output to the void, like:
20
21 --- 8< ~/.config/mc/mc.ext ---
22 include/video2
23 Open=(mpv -vf-clr %f >/dev/null 2>&1 &)
24 View=%view{ascii} midentify %f
25 Edit=if [ -n "$DISPLAY" ]; then (avidemux3_qt4 %f 2>&1 >/dev/null &); fi
26 --- >8 ----
27
28 so opening the file (pressing enter on the file), or editing it (via
29 pressing F4) I don;t see any output from neither mpv nor avidemux.
30 Note, that both of the processes are instantly put to the background
31 (amperand at the end of the command) so that mc is still operatable.
32
33 Hope, that helps :)
36 -^- _ something is grinding the emptiness:
37 _ /O)_\// Kohina - Reyn Ouwehand - In Karate - C64 (8580)
38 (_(|__(_(_) grf. http://www.kohina.com