From: Michael Crute <mcrute@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Must all software be installed with Ebuilds?
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 05:42:58
1 Everything you install on Gentoo is generally done with an ebuild because
2 that lets portage track the dependencies and also keeps track of the
3 versions so they are easily upgraded in the future. This is the best way to
4 do things for most software. With something like Communigate however, you
5 aren't going to benefit much by writing an ebuild since its not gonna be in
6 portage and your not compiling anything anyhow. I would however suggest that
7 if Communigate has any dependencies that you emerge them through Portage
8 rather than build them by hand so they can be easily (automatically) updated
9 when you do an emerge -u world.
10
11 -Mike
12