From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] What if the firewall doesn't start?
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 00:34:56
1 > > It occurred to me that if the shorewall firewall on my headless router
2 > > doesn't start for whatever reason, I'll be totally exposed. Is there
3 > > a way to protect against that?
4 >
5 > Well, you'll get an error during boot that iptables did not come up.
6
7 The machine is headless though.
8
9 > I assume that shorewall is only run when you change the script and
10 > otherwise /etc/init.d/iptables is run as a default service after boot.
11
12 Ouch. No. I'm running shorewall in the default runlevel and iptables
13 explicitly not at all. I thought running shorewall was all I needed
14 to do. Can you confirm that I should be running iptables in the
15 default runlevel and shorewall only when I want to update the config?
16
17 > Anyway, a closed port remains closed whether a firewall is running, or not.
18
19 I thought the firewall specified which ports to open/close.
20
21 - Gramt
22 --
23 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list