From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] What if the firewall doesn't start?
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2007 22:55:32
1 On Sunday 25 February 2007 19:58, Grant wrote:
2 > It occurred to me that if the shorewall firewall on my headless router
3 > doesn't start for whatever reason, I'll be totally exposed. Is there
4 > a way to protect against that?
5
6 Well, you'll get an error during boot that iptables did not come up. I assume
7 that shorewall is only run when you change the script and
8 otherwise /etc/init.d/iptables is run as a default service after boot.
9
10 Anyway, a closed port remains closed whether a firewall is running, or not.
11 An open port is hopefully protected by decently strong passwds/authentication
12 mechanisms.
13 --
14 Regards,
15 Mick