From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: QEMU on a partition
Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2018 12:54:49
1 On Saturday, 3 March 2018 03:09:25 GMT Ian Zimmerman wrote:
2 > On 2018-03-02 20:12, R0b0t1 wrote:
3 > > I can't find it again, but there was a neat writeup investigating the
4 > > TCP over TCP "tunnel collapse" phenomena. When two layers are doing
5 > > the same thing, there is a tendency for both to behave poorly. I'm not
6 > > sure any deeper explanation was or can be offered, but it is something
7 > > that holds true not only for network traffic, but disk IO and
8 > > databases as well.
9 >
10 > I think I've seen that too, and it was when I decided to install and
11 > learn openvpn in place of the everything-over-ssh setup I had before.
12
13 I think the problem you mention refers to TCP retransmission timeouts, when
14 you stack one TCP packet within another. RFC3439 warns against TCP layering:
15
16 https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3439#page-7
17
18 UDP encapsulation as used for e.g. VPN does not suffer with the same problem
19 because it does not use the same transmission quality control mechanism as
20 TCP. I have used SSH within IPSec VPN tunnels without retransmission problems
21 (both with and without UDP encapsulation).
22
23 I am not sure if block device I/O protocols suffer the same problem - I don't
24 really know how the read/write SCSI commands are queued and processed between
25 host and guest OS. What I have noticed is abstraction layers relating to
26 partitioning schemes, e.g. good ol' primary Vs logical partitions, make a
27 difference *only* when the partition is initially mounted, but not thereafter.
30 Regards,
31 Mick