From: Grant Taylor <gtaylor@×××××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: QEMU on a partition
Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2018 18:52:13
1 On 03/03/2018 05:54 AM, Mick wrote:
2 > UDP encapsulation as used for e.g. VPN does not suffer with the same
3 > problem because it does not use the same transmission quality control
4 > mechanism as TCP.
5
6 I think it's fair to say that it doesn't suffer at the protocol (TCP /
7 UDP) level. There is nothing to prevent higher application layer
8 retransmissions from compounding things.
9
10 > I am not sure if block device I/O protocols suffer the same problem -
11 > I don't really know how the read/write SCSI commands are queued and
12 > processed between host and guest OS. What I have noticed is abstraction
13 > layers relating to partitioning schemes, e.g. good ol' primary Vs logical
14 > partitions, make a difference *only* when the partition is initially
15 > mounted, but not thereafter.
16
17 I've always operated under the assumption that there was additional
18 logic ~> complexity, thus it must be slightly slower.
19
20 That being said, I've long held that the performance overhead is
21 extremely likely negligible and can be ignored. At least unless you are
22 trying to squeeze every bit of performance out of something. I.e. HPC
23 or low power / low speed devices.
28 Grant. . . .
29 unix || die