From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] FIle type recognition in Gnome
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2009 03:16:53
1 On Sat, Feb 14, 2009 at 6:27 PM, Albert Hopkins <marduk@×××××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > On Sun, 2009-02-15 at 00:15 +0000, amar.cosic@×××××.com wrote:
3 >> Hello list
4 >>
5 >> I have this weird issue with Gnome and diferent file types. For ex. if
6 >> I double click on .avi file it try's to open it with document viewer
7 >> (gedit i guess). And If I go right click>properties>open with> then
8 >> chose Movie player.. then it opens .avi in Totem. But thing is after
9 >> that it will try to open every file type in Totem ie. .txt .zip .. Its
10 >> like it doesnt recognize and assign right aplication to file type. Any
11 >> sugestions on this?
14 > I've never seen this before. Something is really messed up. BTW
15 > "Document Viewer" is usually Evince.
16 >
17 > Well you didn't specify what version of GNOME you are using. Perhaps
18 > your
19 > ~/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list, /usr/share/applications/mimeinfo.cache or /usr/share/application-registry is hosed.
20 >
21 > -a
22
23 We are seeing something similar here on my wife's machine. All the
24 file associations started going to gedit and we're having to
25 reassociate file types with applications. It seems that somehow it
26 starts using the most recent association as the default for the next
27 unknown file type. Once we set things up then the app seems to stick
28 with the file type.
29
30 - Mark