From: Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Root device as UUID not properly detected
Date: Tue, 06 Oct 2015 16:17:22
1 151006 João Miguel wrote:
2 > I have decided to make a pen drive with Gentoo Linux installed,
3 > to have a permanent pocket installation I can use in any computer
4 > as if it were my own. The Gentoo Wiki guided me very well through it.
5 >
6 > The problem I'm having only appears when I try to boot the pen drive
7 > physically. That is, if I use a VM as such:
8 >
9 > $ qemu-system-i386 -hda /dev/sdb -enable-kvm -m 2G
10 >
11 > I have no error messages displayed. However, if I try to boot it from a
12 > real PC, I get an error message alike "Could not find the root block
13 > device in UUID=...". Now what is weird is this: in some PCs, if I click
14 > Enter to try and use the same device, the system boots normally, or if I
15 > drop to the shell, I can do blkid and see the root partition (usually
16 > sdb4 or sdc4). But in at least one PC, the root device is not detected.
17
18 Did you try other USB sticks, which you know work in other machines,
19 in that one machine ? Otherwise, it mb something awry in that machine.
23 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb
24 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Cities Centre, University of Toronto
25 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' purslowatchassdotutorontodotca