From: Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] World update and dev-lang/python-exec weirdness...
Date: Sat, 08 Mar 2014 16:25:38
1 On 3/8/2014 10:12 AM, Todd Goodman <tsg@×××××××××.net> wrote:
2 > * Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org> [140308 09:46]:
3 >> If I do an emerge -pvuDN world, it tells me I only need to update (among
4 >> a few other things) ONE version of dev-lang/python-exec: (2.0.1 to -r1).
5 >>
6 >> I then tried to selectively update just the kernel, and it complains
7 >> about python-exec-2.0.1 being masked, so I add that to the emerge command:
8 >>
9 >> emerge -pvuDN dev-lang/python-exec gentoo-sources
10 >>
11 >> This results in no blockers, BUT, NOW it wants to update TWO versions of
12 >> python-exec: dev-lang/python-exec 2.0.1 AND dev-lang/python-exec-0.3.1
13 >> (to -r1).
14 >>
15 >> First question is, why does a plain emerge -pvuDN world NOT want to
16 >> update both of these?
17 >>
18 >> Second questions is, do I even NEED both of these? Or can (or more
19 >> importantly, SHOULD) I just emerge -C dev-lang/python-exec-0.3.1?
20
21 > dev-lang/python-exec is slotted (I have slot 0 and 2 on my system.)
22 >
23 > I assume when you do the emerge -pvuDN world it only tells you about
24 > slot 2 because there's only a dependency on slot 2. When you ask it to
25 > emerge dev-lang/python-exec it tries to emerge for all slots (I'm not
26 > sure, someone please correct me if that's not what's happening.)
27 >
28 > But I had a problem where something using python-exec needed to be
29 > rebuilt. Run an emerge -pvutDN world (add the -t option to see the tree
30 > of dependencies) and look for what wants the masked python-exec. Then
31 > rebuild that manually.
32
33 Thanks... so, since it is slotted, I guess my question about needing
34 them both is, yes, I need them both (ie, don't emerge -C the older 0.3.1
35 version)...