From: James Broadhead <jamesbroadhead@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is Gentoo for me?
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2012 17:30:33
1 On 26 February 2012 17:10, John <irgunii@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Sunday, February 26, 2012 09:50 Alan McKinnon wrote:
5 >  <snip>
6 >
7 >> Assuming you have a handy Linux LiveCD (any distro) it's better to
8 >> download the stage3 as these are built daily and of all the available
9 >> methods, it's the most recent. But beware that you will still need to
10 >> download almost all the source code all over again with the first
11 >> update, and this is somewhere around 2G if you use KDE or Gnome.
14 >  Aha! So the stage 3 tarball's I'm seeing at
15 > http://distfiles.gentoo.org/releases/x86/autobuilds/current-stage3/ won't be the same as
16 > what the 12.0 DVD will have, correct? The stage tarballs are just the barest minimum
17 > stuff, with only a few window managers and no DE's, correct?
18 >
19 >  So, what I basically was right about at first, the only *real* problem I'll have with
20 > trying to run a Gentoo system is my dial-up (presuming I can get along just fine with
21 > command line stuff and whatever). Still...if I absolutely *must* do an update of some kind
22 > of huge MB download thing, can I not just go to the gentoo sources webpage, download
23 > whatever it was I needed (being on someone's fast pipe of course), put that on a CD or
24 > DVD, take it back home and have the update app install it from said CD or DVD? If this is
25 > possible, then I just might have this thing licked!
26
27 To do an install offline , you will need:
28 - An installation environment (any LiveCD at all, or another
29 linux/freebsd(?) install on the same machine)
30 - A stage3 to unpack (this is the base of your install)
31 - A portage snapshot (today's list of packages which are installable
32 and scripts to install them).
33
34 Once you have the stage and snapshot unpacked, you will hit a point
35 where you need the source of some packages to continue (grub and a
36 kernel, as a bare minimum). At this point, the handbook will tell you
37 to "emerge foo". If instead you run "emerge -fp foo >> get-these.txt",
38 you will get a list of links to all the files that you will need to
39 download to continue. Take this to the nearest internet, and put the
40 files in /usr/portage/distfiles, and compile away!