From: John <irgunii@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is Gentoo for me?
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2012 17:11:34
1 On Sunday, February 26, 2012 09:50 Alan McKinnon wrote:
4 <snip>
5
6 > Assuming you have a handy Linux LiveCD (any distro) it's better to
7 > download the stage3 as these are built daily and of all the available
8 > methods, it's the most recent. But beware that you will still need to
9 > download almost all the source code all over again with the first
10 > update, and this is somewhere around 2G if you use KDE or Gnome.
13 Aha! So the stage 3 tarball's I'm seeing at
14 http://distfiles.gentoo.org/releases/x86/autobuilds/current-stage3/ won't be the same as
15 what the 12.0 DVD will have, correct? The stage tarballs are just the barest minimum
16 stuff, with only a few window managers and no DE's, correct?
17
18 So, what I basically was right about at first, the only *real* problem I'll have with
19 trying to run a Gentoo system is my dial-up (presuming I can get along just fine with
20 command line stuff and whatever). Still...if I absolutely *must* do an update of some kind
21 of huge MB download thing, can I not just go to the gentoo sources webpage, download
22 whatever it was I needed (being on someone's fast pipe of course), put that on a CD or
23 DVD, take it back home and have the update app install it from said CD or DVD? If this is
24 possible, then I just might have this thing licked!
28 There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who
29 is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else. -Theodore Roosevelt,
30 1915