From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is Gentoo for me?
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2012 17:46:23
1 On Sun, 26 Feb 2012 11:10:50 -0600
2 John <irgunii@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On Sunday, February 26, 2012 09:50 Alan McKinnon wrote:
7 > <snip>
8 >
9 > > Assuming you have a handy Linux LiveCD (any distro) it's better to
10 > > download the stage3 as these are built daily and of all the
11 > > available methods, it's the most recent. But beware that you will
12 > > still need to download almost all the source code all over again
13 > > with the first update, and this is somewhere around 2G if you use
14 > > KDE or Gnome.
17 > Aha! So the stage 3 tarball's I'm seeing at
18 > http://distfiles.gentoo.org/releases/x86/autobuilds/current-stage3/
19 > won't be the same as what the 12.0 DVD will have, correct? The stage
20 > tarballs are just the barest minimum stuff, with only a few window
21 > managers and no DE's, correct?
22
23 Yes, that's pretty much it. It's not a problem having only the basics
24 in the tarball as with the first major update you will download all the
25 source code for the bits you don't have yet. And those are the same
26 bits that will probably be updated anyway.
27
28 > So, what I basically was right about at first, the only *real*
29 > problem I'll have with trying to run a Gentoo system is my dial-up
30 > (presuming I can get along just fine with command line stuff and
31 > whatever). Still...if I absolutely *must* do an update of some kind
32 > of huge MB download thing, can I not just go to the gentoo sources
33 > webpage, download whatever it was I needed (being on someone's fast
34 > pipe of course), put that on a CD or DVD, take it back home and have
35 > the update app install it from said CD or DVD? If this is possible,
36 > then I just might have this thing licked!
37
38 There's some tricks you can use. Portage can display the URLs of code
39 it will want to download, so you can take that list and feed
40 it into a downloader. Like so:
41
42 emerge -pvuNDf world
45 Alan McKinnnon