From: John <irgunii@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is Gentoo for me?
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2012 19:58:03
1 On Sunday, February 26, 2012 11:44 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Sun, 26 Feb 2012 11:10:50 -0600
3 >
4 > John <irgunii@×××××.com> wrote:
5 > > On Sunday, February 26, 2012 09:50 Alan McKinnon wrote:
6 > > <snip>
7 > >
8 > > > Assuming you have a handy Linux LiveCD (any distro) it's better to
9 > > > download the stage3 as these are built daily and of all the
10 > > > available methods, it's the most recent. But beware that you will
11 > > > still need to download almost all the source code all over again
12 > > > with the first update, and this is somewhere around 2G if you use
13 > > > KDE or Gnome.
14 > > >
15 > > Aha! So the stage 3 tarball's I'm seeing at
16 > >
17 > > http://distfiles.gentoo.org/releases/x86/autobuilds/current-stage3/
18 > > won't be the same as what the 12.0 DVD will have, correct? The stage
19 > > tarballs are just the barest minimum stuff, with only a few window
20 > > managers and no DE's, correct?
21 >
22 > Yes, that's pretty much it. It's not a problem having only the basics
23 > in the tarball as with the first major update you will download all the
24 > source code for the bits you don't have yet. And those are the same
25 > bits that will probably be updated anyway.
26 >
27 > > So, what I basically was right about at first, the only *real*
28 > >
29 > > problem I'll have with trying to run a Gentoo system is my dial-up
30 > > (presuming I can get along just fine with command line stuff and
31 > > whatever). Still...if I absolutely *must* do an update of some kind
32 > > of huge MB download thing, can I not just go to the gentoo sources
33 > > webpage, download whatever it was I needed (being on someone's fast
34 > > pipe of course), put that on a CD or DVD, take it back home and have
35 > > the update app install it from said CD or DVD? If this is possible,
36 > > then I just might have this thing licked!
37 >
38 > There's some tricks you can use. Portage can display the URLs of code
39 > it will want to download, so you can take that list and feed
40 > it into a downloader. Like so:
41 >
42 > emerge -pvuNDf world
43
44 Okay, great. Thanks to everyone who's been trying to help me out here. Now to work on
45 finding someone with a fast connection and see what kind of damage I can do!