From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] alternate mta's
Date: Sun, 05 May 2013 09:23:47
1 On 04/05/2013 22:17, Tanstaafl wrote:
2 > On 2013-05-04 3:27 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> On 04/05/2013 18:52, Tanstaafl wrote:
4 >>> Ok, I have msmpt installed and working just fine.
5 >>>
6 >>> Now, all of a sudden, emerge -pvuDN world wants to install mailx.
7 >>>
8 >>> equery depends mailx says rkhunter is pulling it in via virtual/mailx
9 >>>
10 >>> Why isn't this dependency satisfied by the presence of msmtp?
11 >>>
12 >>> And more importantly, how can I fix it without installing mailx?
13 >
14 >> Simplest answer:
15 >>
16 >> It was never done because nobody did it.
17 >>
18 >> Whoever maintains virtual/mailx does so believing they have a decent set
19 >> of implementations available for you to use. There was never any
20 >> guarantee there that all possible satisfiers for virtual/mailx would be
21 >> listed.
22 >>
23 >> File a feature request at b.g.o. if you feel msmtp satsifies
24 >> virtual/mailx.
25 >
26 > Actually, I'm not really concerned about virtual/mails...
27
28 You should be, it's at the core of the problem surely?
29
30 Your original mail said that rkhunter was pulling in mailx via
31 virtual/mailx. Which mailx do you mean by that? virtual/mailx or
32 mail-client/mailx?
33
34 I assumed the latter as that's the only reading that makes sense.
37 > My question is why does it want to install the full program
38 > 'net-mail/mailx'? That would mean I had two mta's on my system, which
39 > should be a conflict, right? I know if I try to install postfix, it
40 > complains about msmtp as a blocker.
41
42 That's as an MTA. This thread is about mail clients. Not related
43
44 All you seem to be dealing with is what looks like a incomplete list of
45 providers for virtual/mailx. Portage won't consider msmtp as satisfying
46 that need as the ebuild for virtual/mailx does not list msmtp.
47
48 Your options:
49
50 - install mail-client/mailx, or
51 - have msmtp added to virtual/mailx as a feature request.
56 Alan McKinnon
57 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com