From: Paul Colquhoun <paulcol@×××××××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] leafnode and xinetd?
Date: Thu, 19 May 2011 07:38:38
1 On Wed, 18 May 2011 21:33:58 Indi wrote:
2 > On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 11:10:02AM +0200, Indi wrote:
3 > > On Tue, May 17, 2011 at 11:20:01PM +0200, James Cloos wrote:
4 > > > >>>>> "I" == Indi <thebeelzebubtrigger@×××××.com> writes:
5 > > > Leafnode works fine here.
6 > > >
7 > > > I> Output of xinetd -d
8 > > >
9 > > > Looks fine.
10 > > >
11 > > > In addition to the other reply's suggestions, does running
12 > > > /usr/sbin/leafnode from a root shell work?
13 > > >
14 > > > Have you run fetchnews at least once?
15 > >
16 > > Tried everything including removing nearly all security just to see if
17 > > it could work, but nothing. I can connect to various ports for other
18 > > purposes (mpd, sshd are fine) but leafnode will not accept connections
19 > > no matter what I do. So unless there's a suggestion I haven't already
20 > > tried (doubtful, I tend to be thorough as only the obssessive can be)
21 > > I'm gonna go out on a limb and say "it doesn't work on this system".
22 > >
23 > > Since there might be all of four gentoo users actually running leafnode,
24 > > it isn't surprising if it doesn't work on every configuration.
25 >
26 > Solved, and apparently it was a PEBKAC error.
27 > Deleted all related configs and recreated them from scratch and now it
28 > works. My eyesight is quite poor, odds are there was a type-oh in one
29 > of the configs fouling it up.
30 >
31 > Sorry for the noise!
34 Good to see you fixed the problem. Just in case you want to upgrade to the
35 latest version, I have attached a tar file of my ebuild for leafnode
36 2.0.0_alpha20090908 which I have been running for some time with no problems
37 on an ~amd64 system.
38
39 Just un-tar it under /usr/local/portage/net-nntp (or wherever you have your
40 local portage tree).
44 Reverend Paul Colquhoun, ULC. http://andor.dropbear.id.au/~paulcol
45 Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.
46 Then, when you do, you'll be a mile away, and you'll have their shoes.

leafnode.tar application/x-tar