From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: This nite's switch to "full multilib"
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2015 12:45:08
1 On Mon, 30 Mar 2015 12:15:01 +0000 (UTC), Holger Hoffstätte wrote:
2
3 > > Portage does not override your choices, and it certainly does not
4 > > allow one single ebuild to automagically change the behaviour of
5 > > multiple other ebuilds. The correct way to bring about changes in
6 > > behaviour is to add your global choices to make.conf (which is
7 > > outside the control of the tree), or to add your explicit changes to
8 > > package.*
9 >
10 > ..that just shows the root of the problem: the ABI is not handled
11 > consistently, but rather as a per-package configuration choice.
12
13 The news item also showed how to make it a global choice, avoiding the
14 need to multiple per-package directories.
15
16 > I already *collectively opted into* the 32-bit parallel universe by
17 > *choosing multilib*. All the current way is doing is repeating that
18 > choice without accomplishing anything, esp. since I cannot reasonably
19 > NOT make that choice. It's a hard requirement if I want to run a
20 > certain application.
21
22 That's a fair point. Maybe multilib should default to ABI_X86="64 32"
26 Neil Bothwick
27
28 To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is
29 half empty. To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.