From: "Holger Hoffstätte" <holger.hoffstaette@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: This nite's switch to "full multilib"
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2015 13:05:17
1 On Mon, 30 Mar 2015 13:44:59 +0100, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2
3 > On Mon, 30 Mar 2015 12:15:01 +0000 (UTC), Holger Hoffstätte wrote:
4 >
5 >> > Portage does not override your choices, and it certainly does not
6 >> > allow one single ebuild to automagically change the behaviour of
7 >> > multiple other ebuilds. The correct way to bring about changes in
8 >> > behaviour is to add your global choices to make.conf (which is
9 >> > outside the control of the tree), or to add your explicit changes to
10 >> > package.*
11 >>
12 >> ..that just shows the root of the problem: the ABI is not handled
13 >> consistently, but rather as a per-package configuration choice.
14 >
15 > The news item also showed how to make it a global choice, avoiding the
16 > need to multiple per-package directories.
17
18 I'm not sure that's a solution to the problem at all (which is why I
19 didn't do it on my machines either). Apart from always wasting much more
20 work & resources than necessary for no good reason it doesn't answer the
21 question what happens as soon as I want to build a package that is
22 64-bit-only - in which case you'd end up in the same situation we have
23 now, just mirrored.
24
25 -h