From: Jon Hardcastle <jd_hardcastle@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo-Sources/Vanilla-Sources/Video 4 Linux
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2008 08:50:37
1 > > > Jon Hardcastle wrote:
2 > > > > > > Hi, i have spent the weekend
3 > trying to get
4 > > >
5 > > > my new
6 > > >
7 > > > > > Hauppage USB tv stick to
8 > > > > >
9 > > > > > > work under linux.
10 > > > > > >
11 > > > > > > I have been constantly perplexed
12 > by
13 > > >
14 > > > references to
15 > > >
16 > > > > > compilable kernel modules
17 > > > > >
18 > > > > > > I couldn't see! I assumed it
19 > was because
20 > > >
21 > > > they
22 > > >
23 > > > > > referred to old modules or
24 > > > > >
25 > > > > > > something.
26 > > > > > >
27 > > > > > > But having downloaded and booted
28 > into
29 > > >
30 > > > Knoppix and run
31 > > >
32 > > > > > make menuconfig on
33 > > > > >
34 > > > > > > that i have confirmed that kernel
35 > seems to
36 > > >
37 > > > have
38 > > >
39 > > > > > 10's of TV card chipset
40 > > > > >
41 > > > > > > drivers availible to compile
42 > whereas
43 > > > > >
44 > > > > > gentoo-sources/vanilla-sources emerged
45 > > > > >
46 > > > > > > on my machine have maybe 2 or 3.
47 > > > > > >
48 > > > > > > Can someone offer me some
49 > assistance as to
50 > > >
51 > > > why this
52 > > >
53 > > > > > might be?
54 > > > > >
55 > > > > > > Thank you
56 > > > > > >
57 > > > > > > (This is my first mailing list
58 > post - please
59 > > >
60 > > > be
61 > > >
62 > > > > > gentle!)
63 > > > > >
64 > > > > >
65 > > > > > because a large part of the dvb/tv
66 > drivers are
67 > > >
68 > > > developed
69 > > >
70 > > > > > outside of the main
71 > > > > > kernel tree. Also a large part is
72 > hidden under
73 > > > > > experimental.
74 > > > > >
75 > > > > > For my dvb-t stick I need to checkout a
76 > mercurial
77 > > >
78 > > > rep and
79 > > >
80 > > > > > do a make, make
81 > > > > > install in it do get drivers that work.
82 > And with
83 > > > > > 'work' I mean: no sound on
84 > > > > > first try, but after disconnecting the
85 > stick and
86 > > > > > reconnecting it, it suddenly
87 > > > > > works.
88 > > > >
89 > > > > Hi, I went thru this process but i still
90 > dont have the
91 > > >
92 > > > option to add
93 > > >
94 > > > > support as a kernel module. Should the
95 > mercurial add
96 > > >
97 > > > steps to the
98 > > >
99 > > > > menuconfig?
100 > > >
101 > > > no.
102 > > > it just installs all the drivers in the rep as
103 > modules. It
104 > > > doesn't touch any
105 > > > configs at all.
106 > >
107 > > Hmmm i wonder why i have seen sooo many references to
108 > alot more kernel
109 > > options than i have in either my gentoo-sources or
110 > vanilla-sources.
111 >
112 > because they patch their kernel.
113 >
114 > > Is it
115 > > possible to 'patch' the kernel source instead
116 > of downloading using
117 > > mercurial. Also how does it 'know' what kernel
118 > to make the modules
119 > > available under? I have 3 sets of kernel code on my
120 > machine?
121 >
122 > a) /usr/src/linux
123 > b) uname -r
124 > c) just make clean && make&& make install
125 > for every kernel.
126 >
127 > Why patch at all? with the rep and make&& make
128 > install you get all the
129 > drivers. It is not that much 'overhead' compared to
130 > the work of patching the
131 > kernel. And you don't even need to worry about which
132 > driver you need -
133 > autoloading will do that for you ;)
134
135 Hi, cheers for all your help so far. If you are sure they were patching the kernel and hence the extra options I am happy to draw a line under that line of investigation.. as i wondered if i was using the wrong kernel or something.
136
137 Secondly I dont really understand the commands you have given me there. I have my 3 kernels yes at /usr/src with a symlink pointing to my active one which DOESN'T have any DVB stuff compiled in at all. I got the latest gentoo-sources kernel to experiment with and ultimately to switch over to, booted into it.. and downloaded the v4l using mercurial did the make install and it all worked grandly. but how do i know where it has put its modules, if it puts them under /usr/src/linux or gets any kernal info from there then they are in the wrong place. But if it is clever enough to know what kernel i am currently booted into and put them in the correct place accordingly then I am still stumped as i cant get this blasted card to work.
138
139 Can you also recommend some kernel debug options i can turn on? Can they be done as parameters to the kernel instead of compiled in? i have plug and play debug and some USB debug but i'd like more!
140
141 Thanks for your help.