From: Willie Mattthews <matthews.willie80@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] xorg wiki and graphics drivers
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2017 00:44:20
1 On 02/13/2017 04:11 PM, Harry Putnam wrote:
2 > Setup:
3 > gentoo (no-X) installed into vbox vm on win 10 (64bit) host.
4 >
5 > I've gotten a solid base going but now want to setup LXDE. Gentoo LXDE
6 > wiki starts after you've already setup the X server so I went to Gentoo
7 > Xorg wiki
8 >
9 > Following the gentoo Xorg setup pages. I'm having some confusion
10 > regarding which graphics driver is needed.
11 >
12 > The pages at https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Xorg/Guide say to turn off
13 > any drivers you have selected in your kernel conifg at
14 > `Device Drvrs
15 > -> Graphics support
16 > -> Frame buffer devices':
17 >
18 > Here it says to deselect any drivers in there.
19 >
20 > Move on down to `Console display driver support' and select
21 > `Frame buffer console support'
22 >
23 > So far easy enough, but I guess I'd still need a driver for whatever
24 > graphics adaptier vbox has on offer. In my case it is (from lspci):
25 >
26 > VGA compatible controller: InnoTek Systemberatun GmbH virtualBox
27 > Graphics adaptor
28 >
29 > Back at the wiki:
30 >
31 > The the discussion goes on to a few common graphics adapters and tells
32 > you what to do about them. So I'm kind of lost as to what to do about
33 > the vbox setup.
34 >
35 > The wiki tells you to use KMS as its an improvement over other
36 > approaches.
37 >
38 > I like to boot with a hi-res framebuffer and do some of my chores in
39 > console mode where I like that framebuffer. I'm wondering if with KMS
40 > one still can have that large or hi-res framebuffer when in console
41 > mode. I'm pretty sure the things I had selected in the Framebuffer
42 > Kernel area were what makes the hi-res frame buffer possible (When not
43 > using KMS).
44 >
45 > So, following the Xorg pages I've deselected what settings I had there.
46 >
47 > Haven't rebooted as yet.
48 >
49 > Anyway, cutting to the chase:
50 > So I'm hoping someone here is familiar with the requirements of a vbox vm
51 > graphics adaptier and can recommend a driver, but I'd also like to hear
52 > about how a frame buffer works in KMS.
56 Found a link for you also.
57 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/VirtualBox#Linux_guest-related
61 Willie Matthews
62 matthews.willie80@×××××.com