From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Labeling reiserfs partitions
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2006 19:23:33
1 Meino Christian Cramer <Meino.Cramer <at> gmx.de> writes:
2
3 > > Sure, I was temporarily 86'd from the list for being
4 > > a 'bone-head' about iptables.........
5
6 This was meant to reference inappropriate 'attitudes'
7 I unwisely shared openly. It was not
8 meant to characterize those persons with questions
9 and/or language barrier issues.....
10
11 > > On another note, frequent creation and updates to
12 > > wikis allows for quick responses to these sort
13 > > of recurring questions. If the talented
14 > > folks create such wiki pages, the bone-heads could
15 > > easily learn to refer questions to the wikis in
16 > > lieu of all of this repetition and misguided
18 > > readers could volunteer to maintain these wikis,
19 > > thus reducing the burden on the pool-o-genius.....
20 > > Perhaps a tool like eix/esearch that first
21 > > (priortizes) searches for official/unofficial wiki-responsed
22 > > to these common questions?
23
24 > There are three common problems left for those like me asking
25 > "repetitioned questions":
26
27 > 1.) Most search engines of wikis are as "bone-headed" as those trying
28 > to answer the question like the above example. Search engines dont
29 > understand any context.
30
31 this is not a search engine proposal. I use the word 'search' in
32 its generic meaning, not specifically relating to 'search-engines'.
33
34 > 2.) For one not being a native English speaker it is often difficult
35 > to get the right words for the right match.
36
37 English (US) is my native language. Struggles with english accompany
38 most of us, our entire life. Get use to struggles with english.
39
40 > 3.) Sometimes one can describe the problem without the faintest idea
41 > of any keyword to be filled into such [CENSORED] search engines.
42
43 And that is solved and refined during the ordinary discussions
44 on gentoo-user.
45
46 > Without the evolution of search engine into finding enginges mailing
47 > lists will exist, where questions are answered more than once.
48
49 Maybe I did not articulate the idea clearly. It would not use
50 traditional search engines, such as google, Jeeves.......
51
52 It would be a gentoo tool that runs on your machine like 'eix'
53
54 call it 'eix-help <keyword> '
55
56 where a typical keyword might be drive/harddrive/ATA/scsi/ide
57
58 so a listed of all of the official and testing
59 wikis that related to these keywords would be listed. The index
60 could be a brief description of the wiki.
61
62 Here's a simple script written by Ciaran that allos searching
63 to get the meanings on the flags. It was posted to this gentoo-user
64 group some time ago. I put in rooot's .bashrc:
65
66 # USE flag settings hack by Ciaran McCreesh:
67 explainuseflag(){ sed -ne "s,^\([^ ]*:\)\?$1 - ,,p" $(portageq portdir)/prof
68 iles/use.{,local.}desc; }
69 alias ef="explainuseflag"
70 #
71
72 So when I want to know what a flag does all I type is
73
74 ef <flag>
75
76 For example
77
78 'ef x264' reveals multiple listings:
79 Enables h264 encoding using x264 (FFmpeg code)
80 Enables h264 encoding using x264
81 Enable x264 codec for mp4live (using x264-svn)
82 Enables h264 encoding using x264
83
84 hmmm, more than one explaination for a flag?
88 Simple, quite useful and scriptable.
91 There are lots of folks that answer similar questions over and over
92 again. Sometimes the answer is long, content-rich, and very
93 informative, even to those with experience. These 'perls' quickly get
94 lost if not harvested quickly.
95 The linux.gentoo.user search engine I use at gmane.org,
96 is less than robust, but, at least it is limited to this gentoo-user
97 list of postings.
98
99 Restated simply, I'm suggesting:
100
101 1. A simple wiki template be created/cited as a reference for
102 quick documentation creation.
103
104 2. Individuals with some measure of experience/ability populate
105 the template with subject matter specific information,
106 primarily gleaned from this
107 gentoo-user forum, supplemented with other knowledge.
108
109 3. A few keywords be included at the beginning of the wiki.
110
111 4. A simple tool/scipt could index these wikis according
112 to the number of keyword matches; and/or the priorty match
113 of keywords (that is the most relevant keywords would be
114 placed a the beginning of the keyword list for a given
115 specific wiki). The more keyword matches the higher order
116 a given wiki would appear in the indexed search result.
117 (This is not the result of a 'search-engine' search, rather
118 a result from using a script on your gentoo system' A file
119 listing somewhat like /var/lib/portage/world could
120 be employed.
121
122 5. Allow ordinary gentoo-users to maintain the wikis, that
123 is those with reasonable skills and a login/passwd to
124 bugs.gentoo.org as an example of a simple control mechanism.
125
126 6. Monthly, have a 'higher level' review of the wikis by those
127 with strong skills to ensure the wikis are current, relevant
128 and useful. Just look at all those wikis related to
129 ati/nvidia/xorg and tell me they are all current? Some do
130 depend on the version of xorg you are running, but they
131 do not alway clearly state this. Person with extreme knowledge
132 get too busy to maintain their initial wiki creations, but,
133 folks that use them are more likely to maintain those docs
134 and add extra information.
137 This sort of mechanism would encourage others to participate
138 in creating a gentoo documentation engine that perpetuates
139 itself by attracting new folks. Helping them learn through
140 practical examples and grow, until they start coding and
141 'move up' the gentoo expertise ladder say to creating
142 ebuilds for testing. It certainly would attact more
143 folks to gentoo as users.
144
145 Also, this sort of structure would enable many more folks
146 to contribute to gentoo, and those persons with deep skills
147 could gently correct those with good intentions via documents/wikis.
150 Who knows if something is created and focused 'on the little
151 people' then google just might fund it via their
152 'summer of coding' program for aspiring young minds....
153
154 just a thought,
155 ymmv,
156 hth,