From: Florian Philipp <lists@×××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] The LIGHTEST web server (just for serving files)?
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2011 13:17:09
1 Am 12.11.2011 13:40, schrieb Pandu Poluan:
2 >
3 > During my drive home, something hit my brain: why not have the 'master'
4 > server share the distfiles dir via NFS?
5 >
6 > So, the question now becomes: what's the drawback/benefit of NFS-sharing
7 > vs HTTP-sharing? The scenario is back-end LAN at the office, thus, a
8 > trusted network by definition.
9 >
10 > Rgds,
13 How exactly had you planned to share distfiles? You didn't want to
14 mirror everything from the offical mirrors, did you? I'm not perfectly
15 sure how portage handles a mirror that occasionally returns 404 errors
16 but I think I've seen it fall back to the official mirrors in that case.
17 Anyway, making educated guesses about what should be on your own mirror
18 is probably a bit ineffective unless you have a very homogeneous
19 environment.
20
21 What I think you /should/ have wanted is a proxy specifically configured
22 to cache very large files. net-proxy/http-replicator has been made
23 specifically for Gentoo distfiles.
24
25 NFS has the advantage that it doesn't duplicate distfiles locally on all
26 machines. It is also easier to set up. Disadvantages? I'm unsure how
27 portage will handle cases when two machines fetch the same file at the
28 same time.
29
30 Regards,
31 Florian Philipp