From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Adding a use flag: hwdb
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2012 07:50:33
1 On Mon, 11 Jun 2012 21:29:48 -0700, Chris Stankevitz wrote:
2
3 > > Portage doesn't know what you want to do, so it does the safe thing
4 > > and lets you decide. Either,
5 >
6 > I don't know either. I don't want udev, udisks, hwdb or even know
7 > what they are. Somebody else wants all that stuff on my system
8 > (gentoo profile or the gentoo handbook author) and I wish that person
9 > would have addressed emerge's concerns WRT use flags.
10
11 They have, as far as is possible. udisks needs udev with hwdb, and the
12 ebuild tells you that when you try to merge it. An ebuild can override
13 default flag settings for itself, but not for other packages (that would
14 lead to anarchy) so it tells you what changes are needed and offers to
15 make them for you.
16
17 When hwdb becomes more global in scope, it may make sense to add it to
18 the desktop profiles as default, but for now it is optional. If you
19 choose a distro that offers you maximum choice over how your system is
20 built, you really shouldn't complain about being given choices...
24 Neil Bothwick
25
26 How is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a
27 whole box to start a campfire?