From: Chris Stankevitz <chrisstankevitz@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Adding a use flag: hwdb
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2012 04:31:28
1 Michael,
2
3 On Mon, Jun 11, 2012 at 7:22 PM, Michael Orlitzky <michael@××××××××.com> wrote:
4 > Portage doesn't know what you want to do, so it does the safe thing and
5 > lets you decide. Either,
6
7 Somewhat tongue-in-cheek:
8
9 I don't know either. I don't want udev, udisks, hwdb or even know
10 what they are. Somebody else wants all that stuff on my system
11 (gentoo profile or the gentoo handbook author) and I wish that person
12 would have addressed emerge's concerns WRT use flags.
13
14 > The ruby_targets_ruby19 thing is a good example of where you may not
15 > want that behavior by default. Something was screwed up, people noticed
16 > it, and the devs ultimately fixed it. The most-correct thing to do was
17 > nothing (i.e. wait).
18
19 I didn't know what RUBY was or why it was on my system or who wanted
20 it or whether that person wanted ruby_targets_ruby19 or RUBY_TARGETS
21 or whatever. Me "waiting" would require 1) that I knew RUBY was a
22 "temporary problem" that would be fixed in the future [I assumed it
23 was not... just like hwdb] and 2) that I not perform an emerge
24 sync/world.
25
26 Thank you!
27