From: Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] /dev/sda* missing at boot
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2011 14:00:58
1 Welllll...
2
3 ... the Gentoo project can always fork e2fsprogs ...
4
5 ... but who will maintain it, then?
6
7 Rgds,
10 On 2011-08-20, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
11 > On Saturday 20 Aug 2011 13:59:42 David W Noon wrote:
12 >> On Sat, 20 Aug 2011 03:48:18 -0500, Dale wrote about "Re:
13 >> [gentoo-user] /dev/sda* missing at boot":
14 >>
15 >> [snip]
16 >>
17 >> >I wish you could convince the devs of that. I already have /var on
18 >> >its own and was planning to put /usr on its own. I'm not now tho.
19 >> >Looks like /, /boot, /home and that's it for the OS part. It
20 >> >downright sucks.
21 >>
22 >> I have also been following the discussion on gentoo-dev, although I
23 >> currently only lurk there. I was going to register and post with a
24 >> suggestion that everything should be on the root partition; that way we
25 >> could rename it C: and be compliant with the "industry standard".
26 >>
27 >> However, it gets worse: one cannot safely fsck a partition or logical
28 >> volume once it has been mounted. As things currently stand, there are
29 >> no statically linked fsck modules for ext2/3/4, as static linkage was
30 >> dropped from e2fsprogs about 3 years ago. This means for fsck to run
31 >> inside an initramfs or intrd, the image will have to contain glibc,
32 >> libpthread and a whole slew of other large libraries in order to run
33 >> e2fsck with dynamic linkage. The initramfs will end up being *many*
34 >> times larger than the kernel itself. [On my systems, the vmlinuz file
35 >> is only about 1.8 megs, and glibc alone makes that look really puny.]
36 >>
37 >> Welcome to progress.
38 >
39 > This is madness. Is there anything we can do to stop it?
40 > --
41 > Regards,
42 > Mick
48 Pandu E Poluan - IT Optimizer