From: Alexander Skwar <listen@×××××××××××××××.name>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Re: Re: how thorough is #emerge --sync?
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 21:43:30
1 · Willie Wong <wwong@×××××××××.edu>:
2
3 > On Wed, Oct 18, 2006 at 11:30:40AM -0700, Darren Kirby wrote:
4 >> > > Well, I'm the upstream author, and _I_ think there should be different
5 >> > > (ie: newer) version offered. Good enough?
6 >> >
7 >> > No, not good enough, as that doesn't matter at all. All that matters is,
8 >> > what's in the tree. And the latest stable version is 0.8, no matter what
9 >> > you think. The question remains: Why should a different version be offered?
10 >
11 >> Sorry Alexander, I just don't get where you're going with this. Version 0.8
12 >> was released September 27, 2004! There have been 4 major new releases since
13 >> then, which include many bug fixes, and new and improved features. 0.8 is old
14 >> and busted, 0.9.3 is the new hotness!
15 >
16 > Guys,
17 >
18 > Just to prevent the heat from escalating, may I offer my observation
19 > that the two of you seems to be arguing about completely different
20 > things?
21 >
22 > Alexander (and I, likewise) probably misunderstood Darren's question
23 > from the start: when he posted, I thought his expectation that "emerge
24 > dir2ogg" should bring in a newer version than what was offered was a
25 > lack of understanding of how the portage tree works
26
27 maxim is the OP, not Darren. Darren, on the other hand, seems to have
28 some misunderstanding about how portage works. Just because there's
29 a newer version of some program out there in the wild, doesn't mean,
30 that it'll be available to emerge/portage through some sort of magic.
31
32 > But it seems clear to me now that Darren is actually asking about
33 > whether it is polite to give the devs a gentle nudge, asking them
34 > to remove an old, buggy version of software from the portage tree
35 > and add/stablize newer, updated versions (and how to go about doing
36 > so if it is polite).
37
38 Of course it is. You add a bug to bugzilla informing the maintainer
39 of the version bump. You can find out the maintainer of a package
40 by looking at the metadata.xml file to be found in the portage tree
41 directory of the package (eg. /usr/portage/media-sound/dir2ogg/metadata.xml).
42 What I normally do, is that I enter such a bug and add this herd
43 and/or maintainer to the CC list.
44
45 Alexander Skwar
46 --
47 Dear Lord: Please make my words sweet and tender, for tomorrow I may
48 have to eat them.
52 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list